The Russian Association for Research in Women’s History (RARWH), the Russian branch of the International Federation for Research in Women’s History/Federation Internationale Pour la Recherche en Histoire des Femmes, the Department of Gender Studies at the N.N. Miklukho-Maklai Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Department of History at Tver’ State University welcome proposals for the
Fifth International Conference
« WOMEN AND MEN IN THE CONTEXT OF HISTORICAL CHANGES»
to be held in Tver’, October, 4 – 7, 2012.
The conference is designed to bring together scholars and experts from Russia and abroad to discuss a variety of ways in which gender affects social life. This year it draws attention to the notion of correlation of gender and the historical changes providing both dynamics of social development, and transformation of private sphere of life and individual destinies of people. The circle of the questions connected with concept «historical changes», demands discussion of problems of influence of a symbolical order of a society on social behaviour of its members. How much predicted are results of changes in gender history of Russia?
The conference topics include, but are not limited to:
· Methodology and historiography of women’s and gender history of Russia;
· Gender and power correlations;
· Women’s and men’s experiences and reflections of changes in history (mental, political, household, economic, social, confessional);
· Gender perusal of the changes caused by a symbolical place of Russia between the West and the East;
· Concrete historical forms of collective and individual changes and their influence on gender system;correlation of changes in public and private spheres;
· Changes in education and academic research and their influence on life’s trajectories of men and women;
· Changes in marriage and family in the past and at present, in history of motherhood, fatherhood, parenthood, family pedagogic; in life’s cycles of women and men, transition ceremonies;
· Designing of gender identity in context of historical changes; changes in area for self-actualization for women and men;
· Historical changes of sexual culture in Russia and Europe;
· Gender aspects of economic changes;
· Women and men on a varying labour market;
· Violence against women in a context of historical changes;
· Historical changes and feminism thought;
· Cultural representations of historical changes and mythology of historical changes.
Themes of round tables:
1. Herstory: Methodology and historiography of women’s and gender history of Russia and present calls.
2. Gender and power in the history of Russia.
3. Gender calls in the Russian history: to be the woman and the man during epoch of historical changes.
4. Gender history of Russia: between the West and the East.
5. Gender in the Russian history: civilisation of women and-or men?
The conference will comprise a number of plenary sessions, panels, workshops and round tables. Proposals for panels, workshops, round tables and individual presentations should be sent by May 15, 2012 to the following email address: email@example.com
Proposals should include the information about the author and an abstract of the presentation (up to 1000 words).
The working language at the conference is Russian. For those participants who prefer to give their presentations in English, interpretation will be provided. Discussions are, however, will be in Russian.
Conference location: Department of History Tver’ State University, Trehswyatskaya st., 16/31, Tver’, 170100 Contact person: Professor Anna Belova. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org